From Chemnitz to Ludwigsburg: History of Gleason-Pfauter
Wälzfräsmaschinenfabrik Hermann Pfauter founded in Chemnitz.
Six different sizes of hobbing machines offered in the range.
Completion of the company's own manufacturing premises in Old Chemnitz, production of hobbing machines taken up on a larger scale.
1908 - 1914
Significant exports, especially to the USA.
The 2,000th Pfauter hobbing machine.
Robert Hermann Pfauter dies on October 14 aged 60. Area of the Pfauter factory 5,000 m2, 300 employees. Supported by tried and trusted employees, Mrs. Clara Pfauter assumes management of the company.
The Hermann Pfauter Foundation is set up to provide a company pension scheme.
The 10,000th Pfauter hobbing machine.
Introduction of climb hobbing.
Area of the Pfauter factory 17,000 m2, 800 employees. The first automatically-fed hobbing machine is built.
The first motorized cutterhead machine for normal and large-scale hobs is built.
Total area of Pfauter factory 23,000 m2, 1,200 employees. Over 16,000 machines and over 200,000 hobs supplied. At the end World War II, dismantling starts and youngest son Hermann joins the company.
Expropriation and end of dismantling.
Wilhelm Pfauter, who remained in Chemnitz, founds the 'Werkzeugmaschinen Einsiedel' company.
The entry of the parent company in the Chemnitz register of companies of 1900 is deleted by authorities. The company is moved from Chemnitz to Kornwestheim, near Stuttgart. Together with loyal employees, brothers Michael, Georg and Hermann Pfauter start rebuilding the company in West Germany.
First groundbreaking for the new factory in Ludwigsburg.
Wilhelm Pfauter, the last managing director of the Chemnitz parent factory, is freed from Russian captivity. Clara Pfauter Foundation set up.
Clara Pfauter dies on October 3, aged 85.
The 20,000th Pfauter hobbing machine.
Successor to the Hermann Pfauter Foundation is set up to support company old-age, invalids and dependents pensions.
Training center officially opened.
On June 21, Georg Pfauter dies aged 64 and on July 5, Wilhelm Pfauter dies aged 67.
Foundation of the American Pfauter Corporation (APC) in Chicago.
Dr. Michael Pfauter leaves the board. Foundation of the Pfauter Committee chaired by Dr. Michael Pfauter.
The 24,000th Pfauter hobbing machine. Founding of Engrenasa, Maquinas de Engrenagens S.A. in Sorocaba, Sao Paulo, Brazil.
The first Pfauter NC hobbing machine is presented at the EMO trade fair in Paris, France.
The 25,000th Pfauter hobbing machine. Pfauter France set up in Paris. License given to Renault subsidiary Acma Machine.
The first Pfauter hobbing machines with freely-programmable control shown at the 3rd EMO trade fair in Milan, Italy.
Delivery of the first Pfauter PE 150 CNC hobbing machine.
License agreement with Kapp, Coburg, for building profile grinding machines.
The 500th Pfauter fully-integrated NC gear-cutting machine, including the 300th PE 150. American Pfauter Corporation acquires Barber-Colman's tool manufacturing division.
Gear-cutting machine activities of ZF Demm in Porretta Terme, Bologna, Italy, acquired.
The first P 100 dry hobbing machine at the EMO trade fair in Milan, Italy. Gear-cutting machine activities of Mikron in Biel, Switzerland and in Villanova di Castenaso, Bologna, Italy, acquired.
All limited partners' shares transferred from the Pfauter family to the Gleason Corporation, Rochester NY, USA.
Approx. 50% of turnover in the Ludwigsburg plant relates to profile grinding machines.